Pacific Coast - Rabbit Hole Photo
Yaquina Bay Bridge, Newport, Oregon
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Inside a deserted building at Battery Russell

Battery Russell was built at Fort Stevens between Mar 1903 and Aug 1904 and was transferred for service 12 Aug 1904 at a cost of $125,000. Battery Russell was named for Bvt. Major General David A. Russell who was killed in action 19 Sep 1864 at Opequan, Virginia, during the U.S. Civil War (earlier in his career he served as commander of Fort Yamhill). Deactivated 29 Dec 1944 upon completion of Battery 245. -Fort Wiki

0209HDRBattery RussellUS MilitaryUSAWWIIarmed forcesarmycoastlineconcretederelictecolaecola state parkhiddenhistoryinstallationmilitarynorthwestoregonoregon coastoutpostovergrownpacificpacific northwestpnwtreesworld warworld war II